Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Do we violate our faith if we think tactically?


When are we supposed to just rely on faith and let God handle it and when should we think tactically and defend ourselves?  I find a lot of tension in the question. 

On the one hand there is plenty of Scripture that says we should plan and take care of ourselves.  Yet I always wonder at what point do we yield to God and let Him control things and protect us?  Are there any hard and fast rules? 

Personally I tend to error to the side of faith and trusting God but at the same time I think of the Parable of the Talents and wonder if I should be doing more.

Take a look at how Paul handled this one.

Acts 25:9-11(NKJV)
9But Festus, wanting to do the Jews a favor, answered Paul and said, “Are you willing to go up to Jerusalem and there be judged before me concerning these things?”
10So Paul said, “I stand at Caesar’s judgment seat, where I ought to be judged. To the Jews I have done no wrong, as you very well know. 
11For if I am an offender, or have committed anything deserving of death, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. I appeal to Caesar.”

So Festus was going to send Paul back to Jerusalem.  Paul says "Oh no you aren't" and as a Roman citizen he appeals to Caesar.

Why didn't he go back to Jerusalem and just have faith that God wouldn't let anything happen to him?  Didn't he show a lack of faith by appealing to Caesar instead of God?

I have a couple of thoughts.  This issue is a great example of where prayer and the Holy Spirit come into play in my opinion.  If we are constantly in the Word and in Prayer then it will be much easier for the Holy Spirit to guide us.  I think that if we listen, God through the Holy Spirit will help us discern His will in each individual situation.  

The other thought I have is this.  Scripture tells us not to think about what we are going to say in advance.  Let God speak through us when the time comes.  If Paul took that approach then I think it is fair to say that he was acting on faith after all.  It was God who wanted him to go to Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment