Search This Blog

Monday, April 20, 2015

Does Jesus supersede justice, or does He fulfill it?


Isaiah 28:16-17(NKJV)
16Therefore thus says the Lord GOD:      “Behold, I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation,     A tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation;     Whoever believes will not act hastily.
17    Also I will make justice the measuring line,     And righteousness the plummet;     The hail will sweep away the refuge of lies,     And the waters will overflow the hiding place.

I think we are all familiar with the first part of this verse and that it is referring to Jesus.  It's the second part that I want to focus on today.

Does our believing in and accepting Jesus eliminate God's need for justice or does it fulfill it? 

I think most of us would agree that it fulfills it.  Jesus didn't waive the penalty for our sins.  He paid the penalty for us.  The price was His spilled blood.  Therefore He satisfied the need for justice.

For me this is an important verse as I continue to study the Saintly Poor.  I remain convinced that modern day Christianity has a warped view of what the Bible is talking about in regards to "the poor". 

As far as I can see there are two ways and only two ways for the blood of justice to be paid to satisfy God.  Either our blood or Jesus blood.  But either way it has to be paid.

So what about the poor.  There are some verses in the Bible that seem to say that the poor get a free pass, whether they believe in Jesus or not.  I don't see how that is possible when this verse tells us that God will still demand justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment