Search This Blog

Thursday, April 16, 2015

"The bread of adversity and the water of affliction"


I've talked before about one of my foundational verses, Romans 5:3-5. 

Romans 5:3-5(NKJV)
3And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance
4and perseverance, character; and character, hope
5Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

As you can see there is certain progression there and it starts with glory in our tribulation.  So notice that the beginning of what I call God's success plan focuses on attitude.

Now why do you suppose God put this in there.  Could it be part of His master plan?  I believe it is.  As I've said before I think the reason that glorying in our tribulations is so important is that it is an outward demonstration of our faith.

Because I take this verse so seriously, when things go wrong I often look up, smile, and think to myself: "God are you giving me another chance to prove whether I really believe all the BS that I say?"  :)

Well it turns out I may not have been far off.  Take a look.

Isaiah 30:20-21(NKJV)
20    And though the Lord gives you     The bread of adversity and the water of affliction,     Yet your teachers will not be moved into a corner anymore,     But your eyes shall see your teachers.
21    Your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,     “This is the way, walk in it,”     Whenever you turn to the right hand     Or whenever you turn to the left.

Did you catch that?  Adversity and affliction aren't just things that God let's happen to see how you will react.  It's part of His teaching style.  It's part of his plan.  There are just some things we can't learn about ourselves our others any other way.  So some times He will actually send adversity our way. 

Isn't it cool how God's plan all fits together? 

No comments:

Post a Comment