Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

What does it mean to "overcome"?



What do you think it means here when Scripture talks about overcoming?

Revelation 21:6-7(NKJV)
And He said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. 
He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 

Here is how the dictionary defines overcome.
overcome
  1. to get the better of in a struggle or conflict; conquer; defeat:
to overcome the enemy.
  1. to prevail over (opposition, a debility, temptations, etc.); surmount:
to overcome one's weaknesses.
  1. to overpower or overwhelm in body or mind, as does liquor, a drug, exertion, or emotion:
I was overcome with grief.
  1. Archaic. to overspread or overrun.
verb (used without object), overcame, overcome, overcoming.
  1. to gain the victory; win; conquer:
a plan to overcome by any means possible.


I think maybe definition number 1 comes closest to what I think this verse means. 

Maybe I am reading more into this than what is really there but I think when you take the Bible as a whole, the most reasonable interpretation is that in this case "overcome" means to accept Jesus.

How is that overcoming?  I think that for many people when they are called to accept Jesus experience a certain amount of trepidation or fear.  They have to overcome that inertia or fear and make a deliberate effort to accept Jesus.  I think that is the overcoming that this verse is talking about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment