Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Wow!!!...But what does it mean?


Have you ever read something in the Bible that just made you exclaim right out loud "Wow!!!"?  That happened to me this morning.  It is one of those things that I think is so cool about studying God's word. 
 
That is God's ability to communicate directly with us.  Let me tell you what happened. 

My OT reading today was Ezekiel 40.   In that chapter are all of the measurements of the wall around the temple as well as the size of the rooms as well as the measurements of the doors even.  I remember reading this in the past and just like today skimming over it. 

And just like in the past I'm thinking to myself kind of jokingly "Man when I get to Heaven I got to ask God what the deal is with all of the measurements?".  I wasn't trying to be disrespectful or anything, I just don't get the relevance of the minute detail. 

Now remember one of my things is looking for confirmation of Scripture between OT and NT.  So imagine my surprise when I turn to my NT reading today which is Revelation 11 and read this. 

Revelation 11:1-3(NKJV)
Then I was given a reed like a measuring rod. And the angel stood, saying, “Rise and measure the temple of God, the altar, and those who worship there. 
But leave out the court which is outside the temple, and do not measure it, for it has been given to the Gentiles. And they will tread the holy city underfoot for forty-two months. 
And I will give power to my two witnesses, and they will prophesy one thousand two hundred and sixty days, clothed in sackcloth.”

Wow!!!!!! 

I actually said that out loud.  It was like God reached out and smacked me up side the head and said "Dude, don't mock what you don't understand!"   :)

And I sensed it not so much in anger as in playfulness, just letting me know that He has His reasons and it'll become apparent to me when I need to understand it.  He then went on to give me some new understanding of Revelation that I had not had before. 

I've read Ezekiel 40 probably a dozen times or more over my life time but it had never been followed up by Revelation 11.  Isn't it amazing how this time it ended up being that combination?!

Pretty cool!

Now as far as the minute detail of the measurements I still have no clue.  But I do trust completely that God will give me the understanding when I need to know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment