Search This Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Cool Saying From Proverbs - Where no oxen are, the trough is clean!



I just love the common sense that is in this Proverb.

Proverbs 14:4(NKJV)
4    Where no oxen are, the trough is clean;      But much increase comes by the strength of an ox.

Here is what it says to me.  Life is messy.  Life takes a lot of hard work.  But it's worth it! 

Why do you think God used an ox in this example.  Do you think that was an accident?  I don't.  Here is why.  One of the things an ox can do is put it's head down and just plow.  Plow and plow and plow!  I'll show why that is important in a minute.

As many of you know, one of my favorite verses is from Romans.

Romans 5:3-5(NKJV)
3And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance
4and perseverance, character; and character, hope. 
5Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

As I've said before, God has a formula.  The first part of that formula is we have to glory in our tribulations.  Well what the heck does that mean?  I think it means learning to smile with confidence in the face of adversity.  Not a fake, plastic smile but a real smile because you know that you will ultimately prevail. 

Once we learn to glory in our tribulations, that leads to perseverance.  Now what is perseverance?  Would I be stretching things to suggest it is nothing more than learning to put your head down and plow and plow and plow? 

I love the way God weaves the Old and New Testaments together!

No comments:

Post a Comment