Search This Blog

Friday, May 5, 2017

I'm reminded of a joke.


There is a joke about a person stuck on his rooftop during a flood.  He is praying for God to save him.  Pretty soon a rowboat comes along offering him a ride.

"No thanks" he says "God will save me."

Later another boat comes by.  Again he declines the ride saying "God will save me.".

Later a helicopter comes by and for a third time he declines all the while having faith that God would save him.

And then he drowns.  When he gets to Heaven he is furious.  "God, why didn't you save me?".  God says "Dude, I sent two boats and a helicopter, what more did you want?".

There are some who seem to think that doing any planning to save ourselves is showing a lack of faith.  That we should depend on God for that.

Let's ask ourselves "what would Jesus do?".  I ran across this verse today.

Mark 3:9-10(NKJV)
So He told His disciples that a small boat should be kept ready for Him because of the multitude, lest they should crush Him. 
For He healed many, so that as many as had afflictions pressed about Him to touch Him. 

Did Jesus sit around waiting for God to supernaturally save Him?  Nope.  He was proactive.  He could see the situation might get out of hand so he had a contingency plan.  Does that mean he lacked faith in God??? 

Not at all.  To me it just shows Him using His God given common sense.  God gave us an intellect for a reason.  I believe God expects us to use it.  God is there to step in and help us out when necessary but I think He expects us to help Him out by trying to do some of it on our own. 

Contrary to showing a lack of faith I think it shows faith that God has given us the ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment