Search This Blog

Thursday, May 4, 2017

"…taught as one having authority"



Mark 1:21-22(NKJV)
Then they went into Capernaum, and immediately on the Sabbath He entered the synagogue and taught. 
And they were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

I get this one.  I have been in the presence of one who teaches as one having authority.  Here is what I mean.

Years ago at the Covenant Church of Kalamazoo we had a missionary in Africa that we supported.  His name was Dave Green.  He was a short, mild mannered, soft spoken man in his late 60's I would guess.  He had been on the mission field for 30-40 years.

I attended a Bible study that he was leading.  He had us look up a certain Scripture and follow along.  He started reading the Scripture.  At least that is what I thought he was doing.  I looked up and saw that he was reciting it from memory.  It was like there had been a transformation.  He looked bigger, like he had grown in stature.  His voice was strong and booming.  He had an air of authority about him.  And it was clear that it didn't come from him per se, it came from God's word.  It was really cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment