Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

God's Sense of Humor

As I've written before, I believe God has a great sense of humor and it was on display for me yesterday. 

Yesterday the title of my blog was Ever Have One of Those Days?  One of the points was to always take daily interruptions in stride.  No big deal.  My day had gotten out of wack early and I didn't get my time with God until early afternoon.  But hey, no big deal right?  Take it in stride.

Well here's God's sense of humor. 

After getting my blog posted yesterday afternoon I had a couple of things to do and then I was going to get to take a nap.  I had been working hard, had some deadlines, and had only gotten a few hours of sleep each of the past couple of nights.

One of the things I had to do before taking a nap was take a look at my van.  My wife had used it the day before and mentioned that the heater wasn't generating much heat.  Knowing that I had a 45 minute drive each way to an appointment on Thursday I figured I better take a look at it real quick.  My thoughts were either the radiator fluid was low or more probably needed a thermostat which on my van is a quick easy fix because it's right on top.  I didn't have to get dirty, heck I didn't even have to take anything else off to get at it.  Either way, quick easy fix.  No muss, no fuss, and then I get my nap.

The first thing I did was to check the radiator fluid level.  It was quite low so I thought, cool, I may really luck out and this is all that's wrong.  I go to the store and get anti-freeze.  Come home and start putting the anti-freeze in the car.  All the while, there is this little voice in the back of my head asking, "Where'd all that anti-freeze go?"  It was a puzzle because I couldn't see where any anti-freeze had been leaking on the garage floor. 

Well unfortunately I found out.  I had already poured one gallon in and was starting on the second when I heard liquid splashing on the floor of the garage.  I get down on my hands and knees to look under the van and I can see anti-freeze running down the back side of the engine and on to the floor about as fast as I'm pouring it into the radiator!

Crap!  Not only is it not going to be quick and easy, it's gonna be really dirty to fix.  I go change clothes, get the van jacked up, get under the van and find that way up on the back side of the engine in a hard to reach place (of course) there is a 3-4 inch heater hose that has burst.  Aha!  That's where all that anti-freeze  went! 

That's when I just busted up laughing.  I could just picture God up in heaven going "Dude, let's see if you really believe all that BS you just wrote!" .  "All that stuff about taking it in stride.  Plan B.  Deal with it gracefully.  How much of that do you really believe?"

Now please understand, I'm not suggesting that God is mean or anything.  My primary view of God is God the Father so I see this as a good natured little test from God the Father to see if I'm being real or not, just like we do with our kids sometimes. 

Well folks, I can promise you that what you read here is truly what I believe.  I went with the flow.  I had a smile on my face as I marveled at God's sense of humor.  I got dirty but the repair went smoothly.  I had extra heater hose hanging on the wall of my garage so I didn't even have to go to the store! 

What is the point of this story?  I don't know.  I just thought it was a good story to share to illustrate that God can be a real presence in our lives.  Not just some impersonal being out there somewhere but someone we can have a real and fun relationship with.  Get to know God.  It's fun!

1 comment:

  1. I really like that you told this story. It is a great real life example of God's sense of humor and also how we should take on challenges in our life.

    ReplyDelete