Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

An Interesting Picture

I read this the other day and noticed something that I hadn't noticed before.  That's what is cool about the Bible.  As I wrote about yesterday, all in God's timing.  He will reveal to us what we need to know when we need to know it. 

Anyway I've read this passage more times than I can remember over the years and yet this is the first time that I picked this up.  It's the story of Jesus when He was around 12 and He stays in Jerusalem and His parents don't realize He is missing until a days journey later.  I used to think, how could that have happened?  Call Child Protective Services.  What horrible parents! 

Luke 2:41-52(NKJV)
41His parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. 
42And when He was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem according to the custom of the feast. 
43When they had finished the days, as they returned, the Boy Jesus lingered behind in Jerusalem. And £Joseph and His mother did not know it; 
44but supposing Him to have been in the company, they went a day’s journey, and sought Him among their relatives and acquaintances. 
45So when they did not find Him, they returned to Jerusalem, seeking Him. 
46Now so it was that after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 
47And all who heard Him were astonished at His understanding and answers. 
48So when they saw Him, they were amazed; and His mother said to Him, “Son, why have You done this to us? Look, Your father and I have sought You anxiously.”
49And He said to them, “Why did you seek Me? Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?” 

Here is what I noticed when I read it this time.  This was a trip they made very year and had been doing so for many years.  It's a trip I can imagine was probably made as a group.   Kind of like tailgating to the football game, minus the Beer and Brats.

I also imagine it a bit like going camping at the State Parks in the summer.  When our kids were young and we didn't have a lot of extra money, camping at the State Park each year made an fun and inexpensive vacation.  Many families have a group of friends that all go at the same time each year.  

It's always great once you get camp set up.  There is a feeling of serenity and safety.  The kids get a little more freedom to ride their bikes around and go exploring.  The parents are a bit less strict and a bit more relaxed cause there is the feeling that out here we all look out for each other.   Those of you that have ever enjoyed the State Park experience know what I mean.

Now you're probably wondering where I am going with this.  Well, it got me to thinking how blessed we have been over the years in our various church homes.  When we were first starting our family I can remember going to church on Sunday and almost as soon as we walked in people would want to hold the baby and we wouldn't see our new kid for an hour.  And the cool thing was as a new parent we weren't a bit worried and were actually thankful  for the break.

Finding a good church home is really important in my opinion because it can give you that sanctuary you need each week.  If you have a great church home then thank God for leading you to such a sanctuary.  If you don't get that feeling at your current church home then keep looking until you find one that you do.  If you are in the Kalamazoo area and are looking for a great church home I would like to invite you to try Valley Family Church.  Here is their website in case you'd like to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment