Search This Blog

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Here's the Essence

Have any of you ever read any of Tony Robbins stuff?  He's got some pretty good stuff and then some of his other stuff is a bit too New Ageish (probably not a real word but hey, it's my blog) for me but the great thing is we are free to pick and choose. 

Anyway, he has a section that gets into personality types and the things that are really important to the different types.  One of the needs of my personality type is the need to be correct.  I have a tendency to over prepare so that I have the answer to every possible question even before it comes up.

Well that has always made witnessing tough for me.  Because of my need to be right, I try to have all of the answers.  I want to make sure that I say the "perfect right thing".  I want to know all of the verses to rebut any doubts, etc.  If I were to use a sports analogy, I try to be too technical. 

As an example, in golf I have found that if I think too much about technique during my swing I have more of a tendency to mess it up.  Sometimes I have to just clear my mind and let it flow. 

With that thought in mind, take a look at this verse.

Mark 5:18-20(NKJV)
18And when He got into the boat, he who had been demon-possessed begged Him that he might be with Him. 
19However, Jesus did not permit him, but said to him, “Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you.” 
20And he departed and began to proclaim in Decapolis all that Jesus had done for him; and all marveled.

Isn't that really the essence of witnessing?  Just go share what God has done in our lives.  Instead of being all technical about it, just share what God has done.  That way I don't have to remember if he says this then I quote this scripture and if he says that I quote this other scripture.  We talk about the personal relationship with God so just sharing about the relationship sounds a lot easier.

So next time I have an opportunity to witness I am going to keep Mark 5:18-20 in mind and just "tell what great things the Lord has done for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment