Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I just don't get Paul


I have always had a hard time understanding Paul.  Quite frankly I just don't get him.  He says things that to me seem to contradict other Scripture. 

Now once again, as I question something in the Bible I want to make perfectly clear that I am approaching this from the aspect that God is way smarter than me and so it is me that is failing in my understanding. 

If you've been reading my posts for any amount of time then you probably realize that I am just an upfront kind of guy.  I think to have an honest discussion about our faith we need to talk about the things we understand as well as the things we don't. 

Anyway, I am going to go through this section from 1 Corinthians and comment on what I don't get.  If anyone out there has answers to my questions I would love to hear them

1 Corinthians 10:23-33(NKJV)
23All things are lawful £for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful £for me, but not all things edify.
(All things are lawful, really?  So there is no right or wrong anymore?  To each his own?  Let your conscience be your guide?)
 
24Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.
(OK, that makes sense.   Put others first.  Golden rule, etc.)

25Eat whatever is sold in the meat market, asking no questions for conscience’ sake; 
26for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.” £
27If any of those who do not believe invites you to dinner, and you desire to go, eat whatever is set before you, asking no question for conscience’ sake. 
28But if anyone says to you, “This was offered to idols,” do not eat it for the sake of the one who told you, and for conscience’ sake;£ for “the earth is the Lord’s, and all its fullness.” £ 
(So all of those rules in the OT about what foods you can eat and what foods you can't are out the window?  Bring on the bacon baby!  Here's the part I really don't get.  Eat any food you want and don't ask any questions about it and you are fine, BUT if the person who gave you the food mentions that it was offered to idols, now you can't eat it?  So Paul is saying that as long as we stay purposely and blissfully ignorant we are OK?  That just seems very odd to me.  I'm in the financial services business and if I suspect someone is committing some sort of fraud and I purposely remain blissfully ignorant, that's a felony punishable by prison and a big fine.) 

29“Conscience,” I say, not your own, but that of the other. For why is my liberty judged by another man’s conscience? 
30But if I partake with thanks, why am I evil spoken of for the food over which I give thanks?
31Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 
(So no matter what you do, as long as you do it for the glory of God it is OK?)

32Give no offense, either to the Jews or to the Greeks or to the church of God, 
33just as I also please all men in all things, not seeking my own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved.
(This seems to be one of Paul's themes in 1 Corinthians, be all things to all people.  To me that seems to go against the Scripture where God says it is better that we be hot or cold because if we are just luke warm He will spit us out.  Isn't pleasing all people a form of being luke warm?)

Now here is why I love studying Scripture so much.  First, this doesn't challenge my overall beliefs in any way.  Second, I know that I can stand on God's promise to reveal that knowledge to me when I need to understand it.  As long as I continue to diligently seek God, I will continue to grow in my understanding of God's word.

How is your understanding of God's word coming along?  Do you have questions?  If so, have you taken them to God in prayer?  He promises to reveal His word to all who believe in His son Jesus Christ.  Have you accepted Jesus yet?  If not, why don't you do it right now.  Then enjoy the journey as God starts to reveal His word to you as well.

3 comments:

  1. I'm as stumped on these as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a puzzler isn't it? I could go on and on as I pick through his writings. Sooner or later God will help me get it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many times that I read a passage, that I have read several times before, and something new and completely differnt jumps out at me than the previous times. It's always cool to see how God reveals things to us in His perfect timing. I'm sure God will do the same with these passages.

    ReplyDelete