Search This Blog

Monday, June 4, 2012

Playing With Snakes and Faith


You know there are some things in the Bible that I just flat out don't get and this is one of them.  Here is a link to an article that I will be referring to in case you haven't seen it.


Now let's look at some verses that these people base this practice on. 

Mark 16:17-18(NKJV)
17And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 
18they£ will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

The first aspect of this that I find puzzling is who is it that draws the line on things like this?  Some denominations say speaking in tongues is important, others don't really support it.  Some denominations believe that total immersion adult baptism is the only type of baptism that counts while others say sprinkling when you are an infant is fine. 

The church that I currently am a member of believes in tongues and that total immersion baptism is necessary but even they don't promote snake handling.  My question is, who makes that decision?  Who said we get to pick and choose? 

The second aspect is more of a practical level.  I've always felt that I have a very strong faith but I got to tell you there is no way I'm gonna be handling snakes to prove it.  Call me weak of faith if you want but for me it just doesn't pass the common sense test!

No comments:

Post a Comment