Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Reproofs of Instruction


I love the simple lessons of Proverbs. 

Proverbs 6:23(NKJV)
23    For the commandment is a lamp,     And the law a light;     Reproofs of instruction are the way of life,

re·proof
  1. the act of reproving, censuring, or rebuking.
  1. an expression of censure or rebuke.

At first I wasn't sure what this meant.  I had to think about it a bit.  Another way that you might say this is that negative feedback is the way of life.  Failure is one form of negative feedback.  Another form of negative feedback is correction in the form of a reprimand, etc.  Negative feedback is a valuable form of feedback, sometimes more valuable than the feedback when you succeed, in my opinion. 

Let me give you an example.  I've often said that I think participating in sports teaches valuable lessons.  The most important lesson it teaches is how to lose!  "Don’t you mean how to win?"  Nope.  How to lose.  It teaches that failure (losing) isn't a permanent condition.  It teaches that there will be another game tomorrow (or next  week or whatever) and that if you practice your skills and get better you can overcome failure.  This is one thing that winning doesn't teach you.

So here is what it means to me.  Listening to good honest criticism and instruction, if taken in the proper spirit and attitude, can be an incredible blessing in your life!  

2 comments:

  1. This is a good reason why sports should have a winner/loser, not "everyone's a winner if you participate". I have learned a lot of lessons when our teams lost. It motivated me to work harder to win the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when they say they aren't keeping score, the kids know. Even Paul tells us to run the race to win indicating that there should only be on winner.

    ReplyDelete