Search This Blog

Friday, June 8, 2012

We Are The Hands of Jesus! (Thanks Ben!)


My cousin posted a great question of Facebook the other day.

"What was the last thing you did to help someone in real need, and why?

I would like you to read some of the stories.
----------------
Bought a homeless man dinner...because he was sitting in the booth across the restaurant with his glass of water, filthy, falling asleep, looking frail and felt he needed to get something in his belly.
---------------
I try to help someone every day in one way or another. It could even be animals. I have a 98 year old lady on my mail route I check on every day. Her concern is that her dog will be by it's self if she passes. I am concerned for them both!
---------------
Bought a homeless person a mea last week.
--------------
helped an older woman a few days ago in Walmart. I put a case of water in her cart for her and then helped her find detergent!
----------------------------
A friends wife and son were going to do a tandem skydive in Goshen. He asked me to go along as he was going to be on the ground by himself. He felt he needed support if things went awry. I had my day already planned but went along with him anyway. He wouldn't ask if he really didn't need me to go along. So hey, plugged in Magellan and had a great ride.
--------------------------------
Two Friday's ago I took the day off and with another guy from our church we went to a lady's house down in the Edison neighborhood and did some repairs on her house. Her front stairs were all rickety. Under the stairs was all open and varmints were getting into her house. We fixed that and sealed it all up. In the back the soffit was all open and birds were getting into the insulation and building nests so we got that all sealed up as well.
-------------------------------
Two weeks ago, I donated the entire video collection of MASH and "I Love Lucy" to the John George Home for Elderly Gentlemen in Jackson. When I went to the residence, I found a bunch of delightful old gentlemen who just wanted to chat and share some old stories. I am going to continue to visit them and most likely set up a volunteer schedule for whatever they need. According to one of the administrators there, one gentleman "lives, breathes, and sleeps I Love Lucy", but he can no longer get it on his TV, so he is thrilled with the videos.
------------------------------
This morning I stopped for gas and ran inside to get a coffee. The lady before me paid in silver dollars. Since my husband saves silver dollars I asked the clerk to buy them from her - there was $20.00's worth - I was beaming from ear to ear knowing that this would make Carey's day when I got home. When I got outside I saw the lady that had paid for her gas with the silver dollars shutting the hood on her car - which was a very old and VERY beat up car. That little voice in my head told me to go over there and give her the silver dollars back - she was overwhelmed with joy and it felt great to give these back to her. When I walked past her car to get to mine - I saw three little faces staring at me - I reached in my purse to give her another $20.00 but as I handed it to her I realized it was a $50.00 - it stung for just a second then it felt real good!!!
-------------------------------
put in a gas stove for a bedridden elderly woman in Benton Harbor. because i know how, and she needed it done.
-----------------------------------------

Why?

Because it is a great way to demonstrate the love of Jesus in a very real and concrete way, as you can see from the stories above.  We each have unique situations in which we can touch other peoples lives in a way that no others can.

Folks we are all the eyes, and ears, and hands of Jesus.  He's counting on us.  Let's not let him down!

No comments:

Post a Comment