Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2016

How many of us forget the "with thanksgiving" part?


How many of us forget the "with thanksgiving" part?
Monday, October 31, 2016
10:15 AM
As I have written before, it seems to me from Scripture that attitude is very important to God.  In my opinion it is an outward manifestation of the inner faith.  I found a couple verses in Philippians 4 that illustrate this nicely. 

Let's start with this.  Here Paul tells us how to turn to God with our needs. 

Philippians 4:6-7(NKJV)
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 
and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

OK, the first part we intuitively get.  It is the part highlighted in green that I think we sometimes forget.  "With Thanksgiving"!!!  What does that mean?  Let me illustrate.  Compare these two prayers. 

"O Lord, life has been so hard lately.  Please, please, please, help it get better.  It doesn't seem like things ever get better.  Oh me oh my….."

Compare that to:
 
"O Lord, thank you so much for all the blessing you have given me in life.  Things have been a little tough lately but I take comfort in knowing that "hope does not disappoint" as long as I place that hope in you.  Thank you so much for that. 

Your Word says:

Romans 8:28(NKJV)
And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 

And I can't wait to see how you work this one out!  You are so awesome, thank you!  Amen"

Now which prayer do you think is more pleasing to God?  It's pretty obvious isn't it?

Now some will say the second prayer isn't realistic.  I say it is.  At least it is if you stand on God's Word. 

Is the second prayer natural?  Probably not.  I think it is human nature to pray like the first prayer.  That is why being in the Word is so important.  You need God's Word to help override human nature and make your life better.  

When you know how God expects you to respond, you have a choice; be obedient to God or continue doing things your own way.  If you truly want your prayers answered by God then wouldn't it make sense to decide to present those prayers to God in the way that He says He wants them presented?   

No comments:

Post a Comment