Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

What is the "spirit" of our faith?


What is the "spirit" of our faith?
Tuesday, October 18, 2016
12:31 PM
I read this Scripture and it spoke to me in a different way.  Let me explain.

James 2:26(NKJV)
For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

This is a verse I had read many times before.  I guess I just never noticed the allegory before. 

Let's take a look.  The spirit is what animates the body thus "the body without the spirit is dead".    So Scripture goes on to draw the comparison that works are what animate our faith.  Another way to say that is that works demonstrate our faith.

What I realized when I read the verse this time is that I have been viewing it way too narrowly.  I had always thought of works as doing things for the poor.  I now believe it is much bigger than that. 

I think it refers to all of the ways we use (work) the skills that God has given us.  I think it also demonstrates as part of our faith how well we listen and put in to action what we find in God's word.

As an example how many times have we seen people praying for their situation in life to get better.  Praying and having faith that things will get better are all well and good but is it enough?  I think that what this verse is telling us is that no it isn't enough.  It's a start but more is needed.  After all, even God can't steer a parked car!  (I've always thought that was a neat saying.  God can actually do anything He wants but you get the point  :)

Until you put action behind it the "faith" is just empty lip service.  Action (works) demonstrate in a real way your faith that things will actually get better.  Make sense?   

No comments:

Post a Comment