Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2016

The dichotomy of strength and weakness.



I think for many people, myself included, this dichotomy is one of the hardest to understand. 

Ephesians 6:10(NKJV)
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 

Matthew 5:5(NKJV)
    Blessed are the meek,      For they shall inherit the earth.

Here is how I view it.  I'll use a phrase to paint a picture.

Powerfully meek

What does that mean?  Maybe this old phrase will help.  "Speak softly but carry a big stick."

A lot of Christians combine the meek verse and turn the other cheek verses to try and persuade people that Christians should be pacifists.  I disagree with that interpretation for several reasons. 

Among those reasons is that we are created in the image of God.  Are God and Jesus pacifists?  Have you read the Old Testament?  God is anything but a pacifist.  But what about Jesus?  Well here is a quote from Jesus.

Matthew 10:34(NKJV)
“Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 

Does that sound like a pacifist talking to you?

I think the pairing that gives a more accurate interpretation is the pairing above.  We are to be powerfully meek.  We are to be humble, polite, respectful, and we are to serve others and God. 

We aren't however required to be door mats.  We are heirs with Jesus.  We are given power and strength through that relationship.  As long as we always give credit for where that power comes from I think we are to use that power in the service of God. 

Does that make sense? 

No comments:

Post a Comment