Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Custom Messages From God

Do you ever get custom messages from God?  Would you know it if you did?

God has a lot of ways of getting his message across to us all.  Personally I prefer the 2 x 4 approach because it is generally pretty clear and there isn't a lot of room for misinterpretation.  The problem for me is that God is often much more subtle than that.  You have to learn to read between the lines. 

The Bible calls it discerning.  You have to learn to recognize the voice of God.  As you develop the relationship, just as in any other relationship, it gets easier and easier to recognize His voice.  I think it also gets easier and easier to understand the message, to know when you are getting it straight and when you need to read between the lines.

Now God has many ways to get His message to us.  The main way is through the Bible, God's Word.  God also gives us the Holy Spirit to guide us.  God can also use our everyday surroundings to reach us.  I got to experience that today.  I just love how God can weave different parts of our life together to give us a message.  Here is what I am talking about. 

Our church has a thing called Epic School of Ministry.  I have had somewhat of an interest in attending but there are two pre requisite classes.  101 Getting a Grip On the Basics and 201 Getting a Grip On Serving, or something close to that.  I've already taken 101 and quite frankly have no interest in taking 201 because I already serve a ton and believe I already have a grip on it.

Pastor Beth is recording some more ministry training videos and they needed a camera operator so I volunteered.  Imagine my surprise today when as I'm recording her teachings Pastor Beth starts talking about everyone needing to revisit the basics now and then.  She used the analogy with sports that we need to go back to the fundamentals.  Even those who already are proficient need to go back to the fundamentals occasionally. 

I've got to admit that it was a bit convicting because part of what was behind my reluctance to take 201 was the feeling that as a "mature Christian" it was beneath me. 

Isn't it amazing how we have a new 201 class starting in the near future?  Isn't it amazing that the regular camera person couldn't do the video today and they needed me to fill in?  Isn't it amazing that what I needed to hear just happened to be part of Pastor Beth's message?

Do you find it amazing that I am going to be starting the 201 class in the very near future?

Man God's got awfully good aim with that custom 2 X 4!

No comments:

Post a Comment