Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

"Satan Has Asked For You"

That's a sobering thought isn't it?  In this case Jesus tells us that Satan was specifically targeting Peter.  I have long believed that Satan likes to play Wack A Mole with Christians.  He will pretty much leave us alone as long as we aren't a threat to him.  It's when we stick our head up by sharing our faith openly, etc. that Satan targets us for a wack upside the head.



There is something else about this passage I had never noticed before and I think there is a very important lesson to be drawn from it.

Luke 22:31-32(NKJV)
And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat.
But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.”

As I read that the smart alec side of me thought "Wow, thanks a lot Bro Jesus.  Way to go all out to protect me there.  You prayed that my faith wouldn't fail?  That's it?  How about praying that Satan would just leave me alone all together?"

 But Jesus didn't do that did He?  So the question that comes to mind is why not?

I believe the reason is that there is tremendous value in the struggle.  We learn way more by having our faith tested than we ever learn by being saved from the struggle.

One of my favorite verses on this subject is:

Romans 5:3(NKJV)
And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance;

Glory in the struggle?  That's right.  Face adversity with a smile.  Face it with a grateful heart.  Face it with a heart full of joyful expectation.  

So the next time you are facing a challenge, recognize it for what it is, a chance to grow, and get excited about all the new things God has in store for you on the other side!   

No comments:

Post a Comment